Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pinterest Summer Recipe Challenge - Lime Cilantro Fish Tacos

If you are a Pinterest addict like I am, you'll know that sometimes you pin ideas that you, for all intents and purposes, plan to try at some point. My recipe board, Nyam, is full of those. I decided that this summer, I'm actually going to make use of this board and try these recipes out. My goal is 1-2 recipes per week, and I'm calling it my Pinterest Summer Recipe Challenge. You can find more of my challengers here.
 
Mmmm these make me yearn for summer! We're in the middle of our weird "Juneuary" season here in the PNW and I'm dreaming of warm weather and to me, nothing speaks more of warm weather than the combination of cilantro and lime (oh, and a beer too!).
For Father's Day weekend we spent the weekend down south in our home that's on the market and relaxed. The last 3 weeks have been so hectic, especially for Adam. He was away on business in Ohio for one week, last week he spent mostly up north staying with family, and this week he has been bouncing back and forth between his work's division and tech center offices, which are an hour and a half apart (and division is an hour and a half away from my parents' house, where Penelope and I stay). So, the poor guy definitely deserved a weekend of quiet and relaxation.

So this week's Pinterest Recipe Challenger is..


You will need:
Corn tortillas
2 T butter
1/2 tilapia fillet per taco
Dressing:
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
¼ cup light mayo
1 or 2 limes
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1-2 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce) **
½ tsp adobo sauce
pinch of salt
1 bag of coleslaw mix
1 cup matchstick (thinly sliced) carrots
fresh cilantro
avocado - save for last
** I found this in a can at Walmart in the Latino section.
You will do:
1. De-seed the peppers and cut into small pieces. If you are like me, 1 pepper is plenty. I'd say on a scale of 1-5 stars, 1 pepper would be 2-3 stars. I wouldn't dare try 2 peppers, but it's all about your own tolerance ;)
2. In a food processor or blender, mix the pepper, cilantro and adobo sauce. Add salt, rest of wet ingredients and the juice from half a lime.
3. Add 2-3 cups of slaw mix to the sauce.
4. Melt the 2 T of butter in a pan and pan-fry the tilapia until cooked all the way through, and crispy on the outsides.
6. Warm up the tortillas, add one piece of fish (squeeze some lime on if you wish), and pile on the slaw. Add sliced avodaco and you are all done! Serve with a margarita or your favorite cerveza and pretend you are on the Mexican Riviera.

I'd like to add a shout-out to my special little helper, who was so good and patient while Mama cooked away :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...