Monday, June 11, 2012

Pinterest Summer Recipe Challenge - Buttermilk Blueberry Coffee Cake

If you are a Pinterest addict like I am, you'll know that sometimes you pin ideas that you, for all intents and purposes, plan to try at some point. My recipe board, Nyam, is full of those. I decided that this summer, I'm actually going to make use of this board and try these recipes out. My goal is 1-2 recipes per week, and I'm calling it my Pinterest Summer Recipe Challenge. You can find more of my challengers here.


Meet the first challenger - Buttermilk Blueberry Cobbler
This recipe has been bounced off Pinterest many times and for very good reason - this is some damn good cobbler. I've tried it with both blueberries and varied with one time with cinnamon and sugar. This recipe serves as a good foundation for many different variations on cobbler.
My problem with many of the things I bake, I get overly excited and the goodie is gone before I can take any pictures. This is one of those occasions. If I get around to baking this again this summer (which I can guarantee I will!), I will repost some pictures.

You will need:
½ cup butter, softened
the zest from 1 lemon (if you don't like the combination of blueberries and lemon, as I don't, fear not - it is not enough to call it a "lemon-blueberry cobbler")
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top

What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream the butter, lemon zest and 7/8 cup of sugar until whipped. It's important that the butter isn't too cold or melted as it will either chunk up or separate.
3. Add the egg and vanilla
4. In a separate bowl, gently mix the blueberries with 1/4c of flour, and in another bowl combine the rest of the dry ingredients.
5. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the butter mixture.
6. Gently fold in the blueberries.
7. Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish. Spread batter into the dish, and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of sugar.
8. Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

This cake is delicious any time of day. It's great with a cup of coffee, by itself or with a scoop of ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...